How can the artificial intelligence system help lawyers?
More and more Artificial Intelligence is spreading to all fields of legal practice, AI came to stay in the legal world and Luminance is a clear representation of it.
Luminance is the leading artificial intelligence platform for the legal profession. Founded by mathematicians from the University of Cambridge, Luminance has developed the Legal Inference Transformation Engine (LITE), the first true application of machine learning to the legal industry. By combining pattern-recognition technology with supervised and unsupervised machine learning, Luminance is able to read and form an understanding of human language. Luminance is used by law firms and in-house teams in over 47 countries around the world to improve processes such as due diligence, contract negotiation, regulatory compliance reviews, property portfolio analysis and eDiscovery.
• Luminance brings true machine learning to the legal profession. This is all made possible by Luminance’s core intelligence, ‘LITE’ (Legal Inference Transformation Engine), which uses both supervised and unsupervised machine learning to read and analyse legal language at both document and clause-level.
• Luminance is language and jurisdiction-agnostic; proprietary machine learning technology is flexible enough to adapt to any lawyers’ workflow – no matter which office they are based in. In fact, Luminance is now working in over 80 languages with 40% of our customers working within non-English documentation.
• Luminance needs no pre-training or configuration, allowing lawyers to begin their analysis immediately after document upload is completed. This means that lawyers are provided with instant value.
• Luminance’s machine learning can proactively uncover insights lawyers might have missed or not set out to look for in their review, surfacing the ‘unknown unknowns’ that could otherwise have been missed. This means that lawyers are presented with all critical information to aid them during negotiation.
• Our customers consistently report on achieving time-savings of at least 50% on day one of their review. This only increases as the user continues to interact with the platform and Luminance’s supervised machine learning comes into play, learning from these interactions to become increasingly tailored to the firm’s nuances and specialities.
• Using Luminance, the lawyer need never relinquish control to technology: rather, it is the human that is steering the review and drawing the all-important conclusions- not the machine.
• Luminance empowers lawyers to deliver the best possible legal advice to their clients, allowing them to deliver results with speed, efficiency and insight.
• Unique technology in the field: uses machine learning and pattern recognition to read and understand legal documents in any language.
• Achieve at least 50% time savings on day one of the review.
• Allows lawyers to review entire document sets rather than rely on sampling techniques.
• Instantly surfaces to the lawyer all critical information and potential risk, allowing them to conduct the most rigorous and efficient review.
• Most flexible and adaptable tool on the market: the only standalone platform that can be used for a number of different use cases and practice areas including M&A due diligence, regulatory compliance, lease portfolio review and eDiscovery.
• Workflow and project management tools to facilitate a seamless review process.
Luminance uses supervised and unsupervised machine learning together with pattern-recognition technology to read and form an understanding of all legal documentation within a corpus at unparalleled speeds. Unlike legacy technology systems that rely on months of system training and rule creation to operate, Luminance is able to understand and identify underlying patterns in data, with no pre-training or manual configuration required. As such, Luminance is able to instantly unearth critical findings for the lawyer on day one. This is then displayed on Luminance’s intuitive user interface, instilling lawyers with the utmost confidence that that nothing has been missed.
Luminance operates primarily via a subscription model, which incorporates a discounted rate for large upload volumes. For smaller customers or those who are less able to forecast data usage, Luminance also offers a flexible pay-as-you-go pricing, allowing firms to of any size to use the technology.
Luminance is available as a fully-serviced environment hosted in a fully-managed, secure, virtual private cloud. Luminance uses Amazon Web Services (AWS) environments for this purpose, deploying into AWS locations based on the geographic and jurisdictional requirements of customers.
A dedicated Luminance instance is created for each customer, with customer-level segregation and controls. AWS provides fully-managed and secure infrastructure, monitoring, upgrades, and maintenance.
On occasions where a cloud installation is not suitable, Luminance is also able to provide on-premise appliances to customers as well.
Luminance integrates with a number of virtual data rooms (such as Ansarada, High Q, Intralinks, Box and DropBox) enabling a seamless synchronisation between the VDR and Luminance. Alternatively, lawyers can upload documents with an easy drag-and-drop exercise. Following implementation, lawyers can immediately start their review after uploading the document set since Luminance does not require any training or configuration.